21 June 2007

Nest-mesmerized

What makes a house a home?

I’ve discovered yesterday afternoon a bird’s nest outside our office building. It was my first time to see up-close a bird’s nest…I even touched it.

I went like this to my officemates: “Hala nest! Naay nest! Naa diri! Cute kaayo! Tan-awa ninyo ang nest!"

Just imagine my ignorance and delight and my fascination and my clapping of hands with matching jump of “hurrahs”…just can’t hide my “joy” over this….NEST. I was thrilled. Probably, that feeling of seeing David Beckham doing the striptease for me. Awrrrhha……

I even went afar imagining myself hosting one of the episodes in National Geographic Channel…dubbing the episode as “Wonders of Twigs” or can also be “Mini Structures” or “Wild Wonders”…And I dropped the thought. It’s been ages ago that I shelved the idea of becoming one of the world’s sought-after discoverers of the unknowns.

Back to the nest. It was an amazing architecture. Who would have thought that ordinary twigs, which people and animals stepped on, can be used as materials for a good shelter. It was safely placed and cushioned among the branches of plants. I shook the branches…the nest was undisturbed. I shook harder…the nest stayed put…I shook more…then a little head popped out…And, unlikely, I felt guilty.

There it was…a “baby bird” (sounds improper)…or shall I say, a “birdlet”…Its mouth was wide open, waiting for some food from the mother. Or maybe crying for help because an alien invaded their home.

The “birdlet” created some noise at that time, maybe feeling the threat of my intrusion. So, I just left it there...letting nature take its stride.

the nest

the "birdlet"

2 comments:

Omar said...

hala day! nice kaayo...

fascinated pud ko anang mga ingon ana.

do u have other pix? isend beh

Anonymous said...

wala nako lain pic on that mar but i have a pic of a dead pigeon, like seconds after namatay...nabangga sa glass window sa among office. i thnk internal hemorrhage...hehehe. i will post it next time.